February 2, 2005

Well, something was up all right. Abby’s pregnant. How could she let this happen? We found out two weeks ago, but I couldn’t write about it until now. Aunt Wisdom said writing about my feelings will help me deal with them. So here goes.
It was horrible. Momma got suspicious when Abby claimed she was too sick to go to town with her. Abby managed to keep her shield up for over an hour, but in the end Momma was too strong for her and lowered it by force. 
Abby started crying before Momma had a chance to scan her and admitted to being pregnant, but wouldn’t tell who done it to her. Momma went and got Daddy. He took his belt to Abby and nearly beat her plumb to death but she still won’t tell nobody, not even me. 
Daddy started yelling out names and every time Abby refused to answer, he’d hit her again. I begged him to quit, and even grabbed his arm to try and stop him, but Momma put a be-calm spell on me and told me not to interfere.
When Daddy started naming married men, Abby said she didn’t know who the daddy was. 
Daddy’s face went white, then green. He dropped his belt and walked out of the cabin without it. It’s been two weeks and he ain’t come home yet. Who knows if he’ll ever come back. Daddy’s a proud man. The shame of it all might be too much for him.
I wish I could run away too. But Aunt Wisdom said I need to be strong for Abby’s sake. She ain’t got no one else on her side.  Momma won’t even look at her. 
This was supposed to be the best year ever. Aunt Wisdom is opening her new school this fall. Abby’s gone and ruined everything. She won’t even get to go to school at all now that she’s going to be a momma. She’s about eight weeks along. Her baby’s due sometime in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment